Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Dollar for your Thoughts

I hope everyone is well. Please do let me know if you are reading (even if you tellme via email). I have to say how very thankful I am to have my new cat. We are starting to get into a rhythm. Good timing since school is just a couple of breaths away! Quincy has many talents that he is starting to display.

Here is a random question for you: What type of merchandise would you NOT buy at the dollar store? I did see a pregnancy test at the checkout and I must say I doubted very much that I would buy one from the dollar store. Though I don't foresee needing to buy one anywhere.

How about food? Frozen or canned? Medicine? Skin care? Is there anything that you just wouldn't spend less than regular price for?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to admit that the only stuff I would buy at a Dollar store is in the category of gift wrap, ribbons, gifts bags, things like that. I would not trust medicines, skin care or antibiotic creams, food or even shampoos. But wow, when you need gift bags or wrap, you just can't beat the Dollar store prices. Hallmark can sell you a gift bag for 3 or 4 bucks. Or wrapping paper that you know will just get ripped off and crumpled and thrown away. So that's my Dollar store shopping.

RK said...

This made me laugh! With both my kids, they were "found out" via dollar store pregnancy tests. I had friends who used them and told me about it, so I figured why spend $10 or $14 for a test when you can get it for $1! The actual mechanics of the test, no matter what it's retail price, are fiber paper and a drop of chemical. I managed physician offices and when we bought them they were dirt cheap. Plus, with pregnancy, it's not like there aren't other signs to verify the results. :) I don't care for some of the food in generic form sometimes, but everything else I'm good with as far as daily need stuff. Many of the shampoos and generic medicines are actually manufactured in the same batches as the name brand stuff, then they just put it in the different bottles. We have a friend who works in that field and told us the secret... so why spend more??

All that said...I haven't been to a dollar store in quite a while. But I'm all about generic store brands at WalMart and such. :) But my husband would say that he will eat NO generic version of macaroni and cheese...Kraft in the blue box all the way. Ha!