Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful, even when grumpy!

Contrary to popular belief, one can be thankful while in the midst of being grumpy....incredibly grumpy!

I am thankful to God for the many things I have in my life. I have a great family. I have varied friends, who all have a specific role in my life. And I hope I am in a helpful role to them as well. I have a job I absolutely love. I even love my after school job and do it happily. My cool cat is finally developing a schedule/routine so it's not like living with a newborn anymore! My brother-in-law's health seems to be on the upswing (finally)!

But I am grumpy. I have people I love having medical issues. People I love having terrible relationship drama and breakdowns. Children I know are caught in the middle of turmoil and I have no idea how to help, or even offer advice to their parents. I have insecurity. I have a mix of needing affirmation and also not feeling like I deserve any. I have myself, friends and businesses that don't have enough money. They try and try but getting income of any sort is seemingly impossible.

Back to thankful now. God does not change. God is steadfast. He is never surprised by our changing circumstances. He provides. Maybe not with cash. Maybe with changing opportunities (I prefer the cash please). Even in the midst of the grumpiness, I have the knowledge that those times make me redefine my faith and recommit to it. And really, that is a gift. I am not stuck in my definition of faith that I had when I was baptized at 13. I have to establish and commit based on my changing needs and my relationship with God. And that makes me thankful.

Gobble gobble everyone!

2 comments:

Joannah said...

I saw your post on Angie's blog. I have been there - didn't get married until a month before my 40th. My heart goes out to you.

((hugs))

Naomi said...

Thanks for clicking in Joannah! Your words are a nice encouragement. If you ever want to 'chat, let me know! Have a lovely holiday season!