Anyone who knows me knows I love my job. If you met me anytime after 1993, you know I love my job where I currently teach. I was the first teacher ever hired for the school as it opened in 1993. It is so important to me. The memories of the many students, staff and families that have walked down the hallways are very strong in my mind. The leading of God through the easy and very hard times are a testament to His constant work.
But before 1993, I worked at a different Christian school. I had been there for 8 years when it closed and I loved it just as much as I love my current Christian school. There were students, staff and families there that I remember so fondly and I count it a privilege to have served God there.
Last week, a friend from the previous school died. I wrote about her the other day. My heart hurt for her family and the people we knew together so many years ago. Tonight, I went to the calling hours. I went alone. No one with me. I didn't know if I would know anyone or if they would even remember me at their time of grief. But I went.
I introduced myself to Melissa's husband. He was just polite and shell-shocked. It was not a long conversation, and I didn't want it to be. Next in line was Melissa's mother. I was crying, but managed to say "I don't know if you'll remember me". Before I got the words out, she grabbed my hand and pulled me into a long hug. She sobbed and said "Oh Miss J, Melissa was such a good teacher. You'd be so proud of her"! She cried into my shoulder and I held her tight. She then introduced me by name to her husband. Melissa's sister was next in line and I started to introduce myself again and she said "of course I remember you Miss J". We spoke for a short time.
In the next room, I went to see Melissa's aunt who I had worked closely with. We hugged and cried in a room full of people. As we were chatting, I heard someone use the phrase "she's the homework queen". That is my nickname at my school, but I had to think there was another homework queen at an other school. But I looked up and saw a grandmother of one of my current students. She went to church with Melissa. So here, my two schools were connecting in a strange way.
I am writing all this because in the midst of misery, grief and sadness I walked away affirmed. The years I spent as a young teacher are not forgotten. They had an impact on people that is felt so many years later. People greeted me warmly and fondly, which is how I remember all of them.
Be encouraged all! God is watching your life, every step. Nothing is wasted. I expected to have to introduce myself to people I used to see every day. Even the old bus driver's brother recognized me! Don't feel like you are wasting your time where you are, even in the midst of transitions. You may not be in touch with everyone you have ever known (and that's probably a good thing!), but God can and will bring people to your circle again. You are important!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I hope you don't think I'm some sort of blog stalker since I'm hanging around and commenting on old posts here and there. :) I am so enjoying your writing, and I'm amazed at how God is using things you wrote last fall (this one was on my anniversary too) to speak to me, a stranger, today.
This is such a good reminder for me now...I am in transition, I am struggling with where I fit, trying to be ok with "just" being a stay-at-home mom when I've always had titles to rely on for...I don't know..identity? Wow, that's sad even to write. I'm learning that I only need to be concerned with doing what God has assigned me to right now. And as simple as it sounds, it's hard for me. I love the thought of the possibility that someone I interact with might be helped even in my fairly plain daily life.
I'm not saying well what I'd wanted to convey, but just know again that I appreciate what you're sharing and I'm enjoying letting God remind me of things I've known for years via your ponderings. Just another way of him using something seemingly small like a blog post to cyperspace to touch a person at just the right time. Thank you for being available to be his vessel to minister to me tonight.
RK, I can tell you that God is also using you for me. Not just because you say such positive things (which I do appreciate), but that the things He had me write back then are still important today. Think of how much of life is impacted when we need it to be, even many months later. I prayed when I started the blog that I would be true to the lessons I learned and would be willing to share. I must say though, I never expected all the family drama that has c aused me to not be as humorous and random as I expected. It will come back I am sure, but to be true to what God is teaching me, I have to be willing to be deep and serious when necessary.
I do hope you see my replies to you here. I am only guessing that my writing a comment is the way to write back! Me + technology is not always a good match! ;)
I just wanted to let you know that I am seeing your comments... but since tech stuff is my "thing," I just thought I'd also let you know that if you have email notification set up (like you get an email when someone makes a comment)there is an email address for the "from" of the commenter. Many have a no-reply non-email listed, but some of us, me included, have actual addresses attached, so you can just reply to the comment email if you would so desire. :) Just for info!
Post a Comment