I have read bumper stickers and tee-shirts that say life should come with an instruction manual. Almost always, another version says that life does indeed have an instruction manual and it is called the Bible.
I have always smiled and nodded my head in agreement. I agree that the Bible does give us instructions for life. Every word of the Bible has meaning and none of the words are wasted. I believe that to my core.
In my car manual, if a light comes on, there is a table of contents and all you do is turn to that page, look at the picture and the text and everything is explained clearly. Only rarely would someone have trouble following the directions.
But the Bible does not read like the manuals I am used to! And I wish it would! I want a table of contents, a subject heading and an arrow that points right to the verse or passage that I need. And of course it would be completely topical for whatever need I have at the time.
Reading the Bible takes work. It takes discipline and it takes time. And of course it takes the intentional depending on God's guidance. I have recently come to realize that if it were written in the way I have imagined...easy, topical, specific, then I would run the real danger of feeling it was a self-help, like my car manual.
The Bible can be read word for word. It can be read cover to cover by millions of people. They may not have the desire to be taught from it. They may not have the desire to learn to apply it to their lives. It would just end up as words on a page or a piece of literature.
So, when you get to the passages that don't seem to connect to anything, or the passages that have too many 'thees and thous', remember to ask God Himself for clarity. He may make it clear at that moment or He may lead you to a different passage. Don't overwhelm yourself with the task of reading a lot of quantity, as He often speaks in just a few verses. He may well teach through lengthier passages or varied references, but it is certainly not a pre-requisite for being impacted by His message.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment