Sunday, February 14, 2010

53 - 0

Valentines Day

Nothing much in my life.

God's love

Family and friends love follows no calendar. They are there whenever. Of course human love changes, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but it is there.

God's love is unchanging and unfathomable.

And for my life, that is what I have had. Love of God, family and friends.

Never had a Mr. Wonderful that told me he loved me. Never got a lovely card or bouquet of roses just because a man loved me.

Then I think of my parents. 3 years of dating, 50.5 years of marriage. They had 53 Valentines Days where they felt, received, gave love to the best person they knew.

Last September, my dad lost his Valentine and now he has had his first Valentines Day without mom right there by his side.

So, I wonder.....which hurts more

Losing a Valentine love after 53 good years

or

never having one in the first place.

2 comments:

RK said...

I've no answer for you. I don't know which is worse. But for what it's worth, I'll add a third option... to have someone in your home who looks like and sometimes acts like a Valentine, but yet doesn't want to be one most of the time. That's no fun, but definitely not like losing your love of 53 years. I can't imagine his pain, and I'm sorry.

Naomi said...

Hi RK,

You sure are correct about that third option. I think I know several people who are in that exact situation.

My most recent relationship was across 10,000 miles. Many of my friends met him once on a visit he made here and everyone liked him a lot. But as time went on and he was not emotionally 'there' for me in the tough times, several friends told me I was better off without him here. Of course I couldn't see things as clearly as they could. These friends are married and one even said she started praying my 'man' would not come back because she would hate to see me married to a man who didn't know how to be there emotionally. Then she said, that was the type of marriage she had and she wouldn't want it for me.

Also, I have always always said 'better to have no one than the wrong one'. I mean it when I say that too!

I guess that recently I have been questioning why none of the men were ever the right one. I am usually quite content but feel a bit of unrest these days.

Thanks RK. I always look forward to your comments!

Hope you are enjoying your 'days off'!