Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Words, or Lack Thereof

I have noticed something about myself. It usually strikes me as funny, but when others notice it too, I laugh a little bit less. It is harmless enough, so there is no drama involved.

It's about words! I love words! I love word games, plays on words, puns! I love it all!

But they sometimes fail me. A couple of years ago, I asked a student to not put her food so close to her mouth while she ate snack. Read that again. I said to not put her FOOD so close to her MOUTH while she ATE! I meant to say not put her fingers so close to her white sweater while she was eating Cheese Curls (those fuzzy powdery cheese things that leave a mark wherever they go). But the words that came out made no sense. My intent was not at all communicated because of using the wrong words. The poor child just stared at me while eating, obviously trying to figure out if I were kidding or if what I asked were even physically possible. As she stared at me without changing her position, I repeated myself word for word and then heard what I was saying. I laughed, apologized and explained my real intent.

Have you had those moments when you can't think of a word? Either you replace it with another word or the person you are speaking with, fills it in for you? That's me.

A while back I went to Dunkin Donuts. I wanted a Peppermint Mocha Coffee thing that my friend had brought to school for me a few days earlier. I knew she got it at DD. I knew I loved it. But I didn't know the words she used to order it. I am pretty much a decaf coffee, no flavors type person, so I didn't even know how to pretend to place the order. As the voice in the drive-thru speaker asked what I wanted I said "Can I please have a decaf peppermint mocha whatever with just cream? And the voice replied, "you want a whatever?". I tried to hurriedly explain I didn't know whether I wanted coffee, latte, because I don't ever knowingly drink latte or expresso or anything. He laughed and said to pull forward.

Last night I went to dinner with some people I used to work with. One gave me their email address, but I had nothing to write it on so would rely on my cracker-jack memory. Thank you Lord that some people use their initials rather than something fancy. As we were waving good-bye in the parking lot, I said "Happy New Year! I'll put your email address in my thing-a-ma-jig". My friend nodded and said thanks.

So I use words like whatever, thingamajig, whatchamacallit when I can't think of what to say.

And the smile that brings to me is of a more serious tone. When I am hurting, I don't always know what words to pray. When I see the struggle of a friend or one who is making bad choices, I try to pray with very exact and appropriate words. But when those words just don't come, or feel right, or sound right, I do not have to worry. God knows my heart. He knows my intent and He knows exactly what I mean even when words fail me. He allows missing words. He allows frivolous words. He allows angry words, as they represent the truth of pain and struggle. He listens to all words. There is nothing about me (or you) that He is uninterested in.
And that type of security is just a part of knowing Him as my Saviour!

1 comment:

RK said...

Cool... I ALSO love words. I like to use the correctly and I like to be creative rather than relying on the "old faithfuls" all the time. Yet I often get SO caught up that it halts my writing or conversation, because I just can't get past a particular word that I know I want to use. It's frustrating when words--designed to communicate--get in the way of the communication. But I let it happen...

As for praying, you're so right. I once heard a speaker at a prayer conference say that our only job is to take God the problem. We don't have to know the answer that we're requesting or have it figured out so that we ask for a specific outcome. We only need to give him the problem, for it is his job (thankfully!!) to solve the issue. I still struggle with this continually, but it's nice to remind myself.