Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Text, Scratch, Fish!

In the past few weeks I have heard that there have been government studies on some topics. People spent a lot of money and a lot of time to get the findings of these studies. They were likely passionate about their work.

Here is one that I can't believe the government spent money on. My first graders could have answered this for them and we wouldn't have charged half as much as was spent! There was a study recently published that it is dangerous to text message while driving. Seriously. Money and man hours went into deciding that if a person behind the wheel of a moving car is using their hands to type into a small keyboard and averts their eyes from the road in order to read the messages, then it is dangerous!

The second one that I still can't wrap my brain around is that there was a study to find out
why people reach for an itch and scratch it. It must be important. Why else would they study it? But, I don't see the importance. Though thinking of it too much does make my brain itch!

And lastly, I heard about this one several years ago and it still makes me shake my head. In fact, I often ask my students what they think of this and why it might be important. Be ready, you may want to write this down.

A goldfish has a 3 second memory.

The first graders and I always have the same two questions.

1. What does a goldfish have to remember?
2. Who cares how long it takes?

When I am in a deep and philosophical mood, studies and research like this makes me evaluate what I spend my brain power on. Then I evaluate how I spend my other resources. My time, my money, my spiritual expressions, my friendships and my faith.

When I pray, is it sincere and necessary or am I just filling the prayer requirement and coming up with empty information? It is good to pray. I fully believe we should pray concerning our biggest problems and out smallest joys. Everything is important to God. But when I know that I need to pray but my mind and heart are distracted, then is that using my communication with God to its fullest? I sometimes pray with my eyes open (you would too if you taught first grade!)! I pray while driving, while singing in the car and while hearing of the needs of people. But that doesn't mean I am always seeking God as I should. I have to check myself constantly.

Whenever I pray I can always think of one more thing. In my humanness I want to spend more time praying for my family and friends and people in my life. When I see a request on the church prayer list for someone's mother's neighbor's uncle I do not put as much time and effort into the prayer. I still pray but it is more superficial in my mind than for the needs I feel connected to. I am not sure if this is right or wrong, but it is what I do. Then I evaluate.

Prayer is a gift. It is powerful but it is not a wish list. God works always. He hears our prayers. He does not always act in the way we pray for. I trust Him better than I trust myself. After all, He created the goldfish with the 3 second memory.

Gotta' go scratch my arm now!

But not while driving!

1 comment:

Braska said...

It's amazing what people will spend their money and time on, isn't it?!? Let's hire your first graders instead!!

Oops, just realized I'm logged in under my daughter's name... it's RK here!!