I have been kind of overwhelmed in the last few months by things and people from my past. I am one of those people that never assume much about myself except what I know to be true for the present. I have a pretty good memory, but I don't expect others to remember things like I do.
In March 'the kid that grew up in the house across the street from my childhood home' got in touch with my brother and I and we all met for dinner. It had been about 20 years since I had seen him. At the restaurant he was pleasantly reminiscing with my brother when I got there. It seemed so normal. Then he pulled out a window ice scraper and told me he uses it every single year. Evidently I gave it to him when he got his license or something and he wanted me to know he still uses it. I can't remember it at all, but he does.
Through Facebook, I have been reconnected with several people from elementary school and high school. For one girl, I was the 4th Facebook friend she had and I haven't seen or spoken to her in 30 years. I'm still not sure how she found me, but the fact that she took that initiative amazes me. I always thought she was so popular and pretty and nice, but why would she give me a thought after 30 years? I will ask her someday. In fact, we have finally scheduled to meet on the 10th of this month. I'm nervous but so glad that she wants to see me.
Another old friend who lived down the street for all of my school years also has made an arrangement to meet me. She also wants to see my mother, which is so important for my mom. My mom is sick and I am glad to tell her that this woman wants to see her. We were kids together and this girl was all tomboy and athletic. I was overweight and liked indoor activities. She spent more time with the boys on the street playing sports than with me, but she really wants to see me. Wow.
Last Monday, my brother's friend came to see my mom as a surprise and it was wonderful! She had no idea he was coming and she really lit up when she saw him. My mom's illness has not only attacked her body, but her spirit as well. She sometimes doubts her value because she doesn't feel like she is productive anymore. Each interaction from the past gives me a way to tell her that she makes an impact on people. Some people from the past are more inquisitive and express more concern than some people I see every day. It is not a criticism, but an observation.
Then, college friends! I loved my college years. I graduated in 1984 and have only stayed in touch with a few because life happens, people move, they start families, interests change and many other reasons. I never married or had kids, so the interests tend to change as friends must be parents and that keeps them busy. College friends had an unofficial reunion a few weeks ago and I could not believe how people seemed generally happy to see me after so many years. Again, it is an observation, I didn't think so many people would remember me because we weren't in the same classes or anything, but that didn't matter here.
But there was one friend there that stands above the rest. We did have wonderful times in college. We were close friends and I am absolutely thankful to be back in touch. We were good friends. We could talk about anything. We didn't always agree but we always respected the other. It is a great feeling to feel important to someone, isn't it?
I guess I am writing this to encourage you that your past matters. You have had impact on lives that you may never be aware of, and that still happens today. Don't beat yourself up over mistakes that you may have made. That just wastes valuable time. I learn from my mistakes and try to not do them again!
I learned long ago that my identity is not based on friends or people or my job or my family. It is about my relationship with God. He is my heavenly father. Jesus is my Saviour. That is who I am, but the fact that He is showing me value from things that I never thought mattered, is serving as an encouragement for me to spend my present days being aware that impact may be felt many years down the road. But even if I never know it, I need to do my best to represent God in this world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Excellent observations, once again. I'm not good with seeing people from the past. Not so much because there were bad things, though that is true of some college years, but (if I'm being brutally honest) it's because I feel like I'm not who I was expected to be, who I WANTED to be, and often I don't even feel like I'm who GOD wanted me to be at this point.
Since I've moved back to my college area, and the place where I lived for a few years after that, I see people often that I knew then, but they don't recognize me, and I don't say anything. I go to church with several friends from college and I've yet to speak to them either. They don't seem to remember me, so I just let it slide. It was a college of 220 people...miniscule, so you know we all knew each other TOO well. But now it seems easier to hide.
Wow...I haven't ever put those thoughts together. Looks like I've got some work to do there. :)
But this is one of the big reason I do NOT do Facebook... I don't really want to reconnect with people from that long ago.
Gosh, there's alot I'm having come do mind about this, but I won't hijack your comments any longer. I think I need to address this with God, for sure. Thanks for saying the right thing when I apparently needed it, Naomi. What a blessing you are!
You are a gem...I love your blog and your observations. I guess it is hard to see how we impact others. You have a forever impact on our family. Every once in a while, when I am driving with my soon to be college senior, we come to a stop sign and she will yell "S-T st in stop!!" Thanks Naomi!
xxoo
Post a Comment