Friday, September 12, 2008

Upside down and turnips!

Fridays have a life of their own in the first grade. Are we caught up with everything we were supposed to do this week? No, but we did do good things.

On Fridays this year we have art and gym, so excitement is already pretty high. Did I mention new first graders are also exhausted by Friday afternoon?

Today I had two exceptionally funny and head-scratching moments.

One child was seeming to have some trouble with her math page. Yesterday she finished a very similar page within 6 minutes. Today I was seated and correcting everyone else's page and she still wasn't finished. I asked her if she needed help, she said no. I was finished correcting everyone else's so I finally asked her what was taking so long. 'She looked right at me and with a beautifully sweet smile she said "I decided to do it upside down today!"

Then, because the kids obviously needed to stretch their legs and get some fresh air, we went outside for an alphabetical scavenger hunt. Each child had a different letter to look for an item that matched (d, door g, grass etc). A very bright boy had to look for T. He couldn't find anything. We were on the lawn og the church building. He looked at a small piece of shrubbery and asked me in a loud voice "is this turnip here?". I said no, but keep looking for something that begins with a t. He moved a total of 3 other times, asking if he had found a turnip plant. I finally said "there are no turnip plants at the church. He looked very disappointed and said that he would never find anything. The other kids pointed out that he was standing under one of several trees while he was talking!

I love my job!

No comments: