Sunday, March 1, 2009

These days...

There is so much going on for so many people. In my family, my mom's diagnosis has top priority. Will be that way for a very long time.

This post is not about that.

I have noticed a trend or habit or whatever you want to call it, that is very disconcerting for me. I know many people on Facebook. I am on Facebook. I don't hate Facebook! I rather like it (but am not as active as many people are). There is a thing on Facebook where one can choose to type out their status. Some people put extremely mundane things on it, like "....I'm putting my shoes on", or "....I'm heading to the grocery store". Not too exciting, but some people like that. There can also be more important things like "praying for my daughter who is sick", or planning a vacation...or something like that. Personally I don't do a lot of status making. In my opinion there is a danger of making us even more self-centered than we already are.

But the statuses that make me take notice are the ones that complain. These days I think it is offensive for people to write a status that complains about going to work, when so many people are losing their jobs! Come on! Do you really need to publish to the world that you don't like going to work?? Do people really need to know that??

Especially when I know where you work! If I read a status from someone and I know where they work, then I get a negative impression of their workplace. Do you really want to send that message to the world? I don't like my job and I want to tell the world on Facebook? Then to give a negative impression of your boss and coworkers etc? Just to have a status?

Why not just leave work out of it, unless you can show thankfulness for having a job at all. I have lost one job and even though I have another, it breaks my heart to have lost my job. The last thing I want to display for others is that work is a bad thing. Feel that way if you must, but really...keep it to yourself!

No comments: