I love TV. I live alone (unless you count my charming but crazy cat) so I have the TV on a lot. I am more picky than I used to be about what I watch. I think that is because of the development of videos and DVDs, I have the ability to be more picky. It is wonderful to be able to choose what I watch and allow to enter my mind for an hour or so at a time. I don't always make the best and expected choices, but for the most part I choose to watch something new or a repeat of a DVD that is a favorite and holds no negative images that can affect my mood or my witness.
A thought that has come to my mind quite a bit lately is that it is easy for us to be on a TV/movie schedule with our lives and our prayers for guidance, healing and help. We pray and wait for God's answers. We expect Him to let us know within a certain period of time what He is doing and if He doesn't, we feel like He is not listening or can't trust what He has decided to do. I for one, put Him on 'media time'.
Half hour sitcom: we know the problem within 12 minutes and we see the answer by 30.
One hour drama: we are aware of the issues in the first 30 minutes and it is resolved by the time the final credits roll.
The biggest of course would be a 2 hour movie of the week; takes a little longer to identify the problem; a little longer to figure the best course of action for the main characters, but it still is tidily completed by the last minutes of the slated 2 hours.
My mother is sick with a mystery illness and varied diagnosis at this time. We hear positive likelihoods and we expect to see them now because we have heard them now. We forget that time passes and relationship with God builds while we wait. He alone knows what and when He allows for us and just because we know of a need and express it, we are not able to manipulate Him to our timepiece. What we expect to be done in the time of a 2 hour movie, could end up taking the time span of a whole series run. Episode after episode after episode. It doesn't mean God is too slow. It doesn't mean He has technical difficulty. It means that His programming guide is working to the best for us, as He promises.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I felt this way, about wanting a resolution and answered prayer on my time, when I was reeling from my husband's infidelity a couple years ago. I pleaded and cried for what seemed like days on end, and yet the answers I wanted didn't come. I felt like it took forever, and really, some things are still in the waiting phase.
But now that I look back, it's amazing that what had taken years to build up to--I expected it to be fixed in weeks. It wasn't, but he did answer little tidbits at a time. And when his answer was "Wait" instead of the "yes, right away" like I wanted, he did provide me with moments of grace and peace when I could breathe again. The storm did not leave, but he calmed my heart to wait it out.
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with these health issues in your family. I'm sorry there aren't the answers and explanations that would maybe help. I wish I had great words of wisdom and perfect encouragement, but I can only offer my prayers for peace, healing, and comfort. Those you have.
What a thoughtful post, Naomi.
Thank you for your advice on my blog; I definitely feel like I should cover all the bases when I go. (I have a feeling it will take more than a session or two!!)
I will continue to pray for your mother.
Post a Comment